John Fisher presents a donation check to the Block Island Rescue Squad from BIRW Raffle proceeds
The 2017 summer sailing season is about to begin and, to many of us, that means Block Island Race Week.
As we look forward to our week on Block Island this June, we need to keep in mind the hospitality the Island’s residents have extended to our sailors regatta after regatta. Starting with BIRW XVIII in 2001, the Storm Trysail Club’s BIRW Raffles have generated over $100,000 that has been directed to the services and charities serving the Island and its residents.
The 2017 BIRW Raffle is looking to be the most successful yet, targeting a record $20 thousand in donations to this year’s designated organizations:
• The Block Island Rescue Squad—they’ve been called into action for one reason or another by virtually every BIRW,
• The Block Island Medical Center—that has patched-up more injured sailors over the years that can be remembered, and
This year’s Raffle will again include a list of amazing Race Week prizes including:
• The Grand Prize—a Rolex watch
• A week for two at the Bitter End Yacht Club
• Two Gill sailing jackets
• A collection of Vineyard Vines apparel and accessories
• A Mt Gay Rum items
• A large Soundview Millworks carving board
• And more prizes will be added as BIRW approaches